+34 91 127 09 20 info@sternaabogados.com

If you belong to a country other than Spain and want to work here, surely you have questions about the process of getting a work permit. Before getting into the different types of permits in greater detail, we´ll start by explaining some basic concepts.

First of all, we need to make a distinction between EU citizens and non-EU citizens. While we treat and respect both in the same way, the work permit procedures are different.

Now, let’s consider EU citizens, who belong to one of the Member States of the European Union. EU citizens can work directly in Spain without having to ask for any type of permit, because the EU rules guarantee the free movement of workers.

EU citizens also benefit from the transfer of benefits. This means that if a person has worked in one EU country, that period will be taken into account in terms of benefits contributions. In this way, you can request the benefits to which you are entitled, such as unemployment or retirement benefits.

On the other hand, non-EU citizens need prior authorization to work by obtaining a work permit. This authorization applies to all workers, including those who want to work for themselves or for someone else. Normally, a request for a work permit must receive a resolution within a maximum period of 3 months.

Our office in Madrid can help you apply for your work permit. In addition, depending on your personal situation, we can advise you on other important procedures including residency permits, Blue Card (an EU-wide work permit) applications, nationality procedures, etc.