Spanish student visa: Apply from Spain
Apply for your student visa from Spain
As we all know, the classic way to apply for a student visa is through the Spanish consulate of your country of origin.
However, there has been a modification to the law that many of you may already be aware of.
The Real Decreto - Ley 11/2018, de 31 de agosto, states that from now on the person who wants to obtain a student visa can apply from within Spain, as long as some requirements are met.
The main requirements, probably the most important one as well, is that the person who is applying to obtain the student visa from Spain is here legally, so if you are here ilegally you cannot apply.
Another important thing to remember is that you must apply during the first 60 days of your stay or 30 days before your stay expires. So, if you are in Spain as a tourist for example, you must apply in the first 60 days of your visit or 30 days before your time as a tourist expires.
What are the requirements to apply for the student visa from Spain?
- You must be in Spain in regular situation. (Not illegaly)
- You must apply for the student visa 30 days before the expiry date of your stay in Spain.
- You must have been admitted to an authorized Spanish institution to complete a full time program.
Other important requirements:
- You cannot be a citizen of the European Union
- You cannot have been banned from entering Spain
- You must prove that you have enough economic resources to support yourself during your stay in Spain
- You must have health insurance
We always recommend that you check all of the requirements with your lawyers and some cases may have small differences in the requirements.
How long will my student visa last?
Your student visa will have the same duration as your course. For example, if you will be enrolled in a one year masters, then your visa will last the same as your master
What documents do I need to apply?
- EX04 form
- Prove economic resources
- Admission letter (to the school or institution)
- Fee (Tasa)
- Medical insurance
- Valid passport.