+34 91 127 09 20 info@sternaabogados.com

Spanish residency for EU citizens

Application, procedures and requirements

It is mandatory that citizens of a member state of the European Union who are going to reside in Spain for more than three months register in the Central Registry of Foreigners (Registro Central de Extranjeros). If you need help to carry out this procedure, our lawyers in Madrid are here to help you.

The right of residency in Spain is granted if the person requesting it is employed by another person in Spain, or on their own, and also has the means and sufficient resources to support themselves and their families, so that they do not become a burden on the social assistance system of Spain during their period of residency. They will need public or private health insurance, contracted in Spain or in another country, that provides coverage in Spain during their period of residency equivalent to that provided by the National Health System.

If the citizen requesting the registration is a student, they must be enrolled to study or for professional training in a public or private center recognized or financed by the educational administration. They must also have public or private health insurance contracted in Spain or another country that provides full coverage in Spain, and have sufficient resources to not be a burden on the social assistance system in Spain during their period of residency.