+34 91 127 09 20 info@sternaabogados.com

Long term EU Residency

A long-term EU residency permit that authorizes you to reside and work in Spain indefinitely under the same conditions as Spanish citizens and grants the possibility of obtaining a residency or residency and work authorization in other Member States of the EU, in the conditions that they determine.


  • Not be a citizen of a country of the EU, the European Economic Area or Switzerland, or a family member of citizens of these countries to which the regime of citizen of the EU applies.
  • Lack of criminal record in Spain and in previous countries of residence for crimes included in the Spanish legal system.
  • Not to be prohibited from entering Spain nor be denied entry in countries with which Spain has signed an agreement in that sense.
  • Have resided legally in Spain for five consecutive years. Continuity will not be affected by absences of up to six consecutive months, provided that the total does not exceed ten months within five years or that the sum does not exceed one year, if the absences are for work reasons. For the five years required, the periods of student residency, mobility of students or internships count as 50% of the duration of the stay, provided that at the time of the application the individual is residing in Spain. To compute the required 5 years for holders of a blue-EU card who have lived at least the last two years in Spain, the time they resided in the EU as a blue-EU card holder will be taken into account. In this case the absences from the EU are up to twelve months in a row and the total may not exceed eighteen months within the five years.
  • Have fixed and regular resources to maintain themselves, and where appropriate, their family. For family units that include two members, an amount representing 150% of the IPREM will be required and for each additional member 50% more must be added. The resources may come from one’s own resources or from work or professional activities.
  • Have public or private health insurance that covers the risks normally insured for Spanish citizens.

Required documentation

  • Official application form EX-11 in duplicate, properly completed and signed by the foreigner. This form can be obtained at: http://extranjeros.empleo.gob.es/es/ModelosSolicitudes/Mod_solicitudes2/
  • Full copy of a valid passport, travel document or registration card.
  • Where applicable, documentation certifying the periods of prior residency as an EU-blue card holder in other EU Member States.
  • Documentation proving sufficient fixed and regular resources for their maintenance and, where appropriate, their family.
  • Proof of health insurance.

Important note: when documents from other countries are submitted, they must be translated into Spanish or another co-official language of the territory where the application is submitted.

As well, all foreign public documents must be previously legalized by the Consular Office of Spain with jurisdiction in the country where the document was issued or, where appropriate, by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation (Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores y de Cooperación), except in the case in which the document has been apostilled by the competent authority of the issuing country according to the Hague Convention of October 5, 1961 and unless such document is exempt from legalization under an international convention.

For more information on the translation and legalization of documents, you can consult the information sheet


Individuals authorized to present the request:

  • If they are in Spain, the foreigner may present the request personally or through a representative.
  • If they are not in Spain, the foreigner must present the application personally.

Place of presentation:

  • If they are located in Spain: in any public registry (registro público) and addressed to the Immigration Office (la Oficina de Extranjeria) of the province where they reside. The information on addresses, telephone numbers and opening hours can be found at: http://www.seap.minhap.gob.es/web/servicios/extranjeria/extranjeria_ddgg.html
  • If they are not in Spain: in the diplomatic mission or Spanish consular office of their country of residence.

The long-term EU residency fee that is owed when the application is submitted and must be paid within ten business days is:

  • Model 790 code 052, epigraph 2.6 authorization of long term residency and authorization of long term EU residency (Modelo 790 código 052 epígrafe 2.6 autorización de residencia de larga duración y autorización de residencia de larga duración-UE): to be paid abroad ....20,40 euros
  • The form for the payment of the fee can be downloaded from the Internet portal of the Ministry of Public Function (Secretaría de Estado de la Función Pública).

Term of resolution of the application: 3 months starting on the day following the date on which it was entered in the registry of the appropriate authority for processing. Once this period has elapsed without the Administration having notified the individual, it may be understood that the request has been approved due to administrative silence, except in the case included in section i) having contributed notably to the economic, scientific or cultural progress of Spain, or to the projection of Spain abroad, in which it will be understood that the request has been approved if, after 3 months from the day following the date on which it was entered into the registry of the appropriate authority for processing, the Administration had not notified the applicant. (When it has not been possible to notify the applicant about the resolution, it will be announced in the Tablón Edictal Único (TEU) https://www.boe.es/tablon_edictal_unico. If electronic notification or regulation had been opted to use this medium, the resolution will notified by publication on the website, if the resolution is not reached 10 working days from its publication, it will be notified).
Within one month of notification of the granting of the long-term residency permit, the foreigner must personally apply for the Foreigner Identity Card (la Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjeros) at the Immigration Office (la Oficina de Extranjería) or Police Station (Comisaría de Policía) of the province where the authorization has been processed. To see where to go, their hours of operation and if you have to make an appointment, you can consult: http://www.seap.minhap.gob.es/web/servicios/extranjeria/extranjeria_ddgg.html
At the fingerprint appointment, the applicant must show their valid passport or travel document or registration card to prove their identity as well as:

  • Foreigner identity card application form EX-17 available at http://extranjeros.empleo.gob.es/es/ModelosSolicitudes/Mod_solicitudes2/
  • Proof of payment of the card fee.
  • Three recent color photographs with a white background, card size.

Holders of a long-term EU residence permit must apply for the renewal of the foreigner identity card every five years. The request must be submitted during the sixty calendar days prior to the expiration date, if it is presented at a later date, the corresponding sanctioning procedure could be initiated.