Sterna Abogados: especialistas en derecho de extranjería. En Madrid.

  • Abogados expertos en Derecho de Extranjería en Madrid
  • Homologación de documentos y tarjetas de estudiantes

    Permiso de residencia por arraigo

  • Derecho de extranjería y casos de residencia de larga duración

    Obtención de la nacionalidad

  • Derechos de los inmigrantes en España

    Ven a España con permiso de trabajo

Sterna Abogados: servicios legales especializados en la movilidad internacional

Sterna Abogados: expertos en extranjería


Tasas por autorizaciones administrativas

Tasas por autorizaciones administrativas

Tasas por autorizaciones administrativas
Al solicitar ciertas autorizaciones de residencia, trabajo, etc. es posible que sobrevenga la obligación de pagar una tasa. Desde nuestro despacho en Madrid, le asesoramos sobre todos los trámites, exenciones, tasas y trabas que puedan presentársele.

¿Cuándo se está obligado a pagar una tasa? Esto ocurre cuando se tramitan autorizaciones para prorrogar la estancia en España, para residir aquí, autorizaciones de trabajo superior a seis meses, expedición de tarjetas de identidad, visados, etc.

¿Quién está obligado a pagarlas? Aquellos que soliciten el visado, autorizaciones o documentos de identidad. No obstante, en las autorizaciones de trabajo por cuenta ajena debe saber que es su empleador quien debe pagar la tasa, por lo que no se deje engañar, la ley es bien clara cuando dice que todo pacto por el que el extranjero deba pagar esta tasa será nulo. Además, hay algunas nacionalidades y colectivos que tampoco deben pagar: consúltenos, estamos en Madrid para asesorarle.

¿Cuánto se tiene que pagar? Las tasas varían de una autorización a otra y, cada cierto tiempo, el gobierno publica una orden ministerial donde se publican las tasas por cada autorización. Como consecuencia, quien pague la tasa deberá tributar por ella a la Agencia Tributaria. Así que no lo dude, nuestros abogados están aquí para ayudarle con estas operaciones.


The Civil Guard in San Esteban de Gormaz intercepted two Albanian citizens and handed them over to the National Police Brigade in Soria.  They are now in the process of being deported from Spain.

Both individuals were detained this past Friday for alleged infringement of article 53.1. a) Organic Law 4/2000 on the rights and freedoms of foreigners in Spain, considered to be a serious offense. What makes their offense so serious? They were found illegally residing in the country, which means that they were found without a renewed residence permit, an initial residence permit, or with an expired residence permit of 3 months or more (only in cases where the foreigner has not applied to renew the expired permit).

This is why both individuals were handed over to the Soria National Police Brigade where they await for deportation.

If you have doubts regarding how you can regularize your stay in our country, please do not hesitate to contact us in our office in Madrid.

Translated by: Katherine Pascal


The European Union celebrated the Schengen Agreement´s 30th anniversary this past june.  By signing this agreement we achieved the abolition of border control between Member States and the free movement of European citizens within the European area.

Today this situation seems normal to us all but not to those who lived in Europe prior to the signing of the Schengen Agreement who understand the importance of cautioning others about those who seek to create new borders and endanger solidarity.  The Union is stronger thanks to the Schengen Area where the exchange of information amongst national police officers and the ability to defend ourselves is possible.  This is something that is not necessarily common in other countries.

It should be clear that immigration in this day and age is much safer due to this agreement since we have police cooperation that was not there before.  The Schengen Agreement established the abolition of internal physical border controls through the abolition of policies.  It would not be in our best interest to support those who are fighting against EU integration, as they are disregarding minorities by repressing their human rights when they have no choice but to leave their home country in search of a better life.  The European Union should celebrate this breakthrough in immigration that was achieved thirty years ago and never stop fighting to support other countries in need.

Translated by: Katherine Pascal


A few weeks ago we posted a video regarding the new law 12/2015 from June 24th 2015, which explained the new procedure which grants Spanish nationality to the Sephardic community.

In this post we are going to focus on the act of notoriety that outlines the requirements that must be fulfilled to carry out this procedure.

What happens after the applicant is interviewed in person and all the documents have been reviewed?

Once this is done the notary will decide if the applicant has a valid justified case based on his special link to Spain and by taking into account the fulfillment of the requirements outlined in article 1 of the above mentioned law.  The notarial act will be drawn up and sent to the Directorate General of Registries and Notaries.  The Directorate will decide to grant or deny the applicant Spanish citizenship.

Before it gets seen by the Directorate General, the file must be thoroughly evaulated by the notary. Based on the Notarial Regulations, the notary must do this in the following manner:

  • The requirement for compiling the notarial act and the notary´s declaration regarding the fulfillment of requirements outlined in article 1 will be expressed in the same document.  This will be added to the protocol with the date and identification number that correspond to the initial request.  
  • The notary will evaluate all supporting documentation according to article 1 along with the applicant´s testimony in order to draw up the notarial act. 

Translated by: Katherine Pascal



Foreign residents in Spain are entitled to vote in local elections if they are citizens of countries that allow Spanish foreign residents to do the same.  There has to be a treaty established stating that it is not a violation to the Law nor the Constitution.  All EU Member State citizens residing in Spain may also vote if they fulfil all the same requirements demanded of Spanish citizens and if they have expressed their wish to exercise their right to vote in our country.

Foreign residents in Spain who want to be a candidate for local elections may do so even if they are not Spanish citizens as long as they are EU Member State citizens or citizens of countries that allow foreign Spanish residents to do the same in their country. Foreign candidates for local elections in Spain must not have been deprived of their voting rights in their Member State or country of origin.

Those convicted or sentenced to deprivation of liberty and in term of imprisonment due to offences of rebellion or terrorism against public administration or state institutions are not eligible to run for election.

Translated by: Katherine Pascal


Certain residency and work permits require you to pay a bank fee.  Here at our office in Madrid we advise you on all the ins and outs of each immigration procedure including exemptions and necessary bank fees so that your application is submitted properly ending in a favorable result.

When are you required to pay a bank fee?

Some of the most common cases include: student residence permit renewals, work permits exceeding six months, visas applications when applying for the foreigner identification card (TIE) when your application is approved.

Who is required to pay the bank fees?

The applicant who is requesting the visa, residence and/or work permit, residence card renewal etc. must pay the corresponding bank fee.  However, when dealing with residence and work permits for paid employment, it clearly states that the employer must pay the bank fee.  If the employer does not fulfil this obligation, that bank fee will not be accepted.  Also, foreigners of certain nationalities are exempt from paying certain bank fees.  Please contact us in our office in Madrid for more information regarding this.

How much is the bank fee?

The bank fees vary depending on which residence permit you have, which one you are applying for, and whether it is your initial one or a renewal.  At least once a year they raise the bank fees, so please make sure to check that online before paying it.

We are here to help you any questions or concerns you may have regarding this!

Katherine Pascal



El régimen especial de los trabajadores de temporada se encuentra regulado en el artículo 42 de la ley sobre derechos y libertades de los extranjeros en España y su integración social.

Según el apartado primero de dicho artículo [el Gobierno regulará reglamentariamente la autorización de trabajo para los trabajadores extranjeros en actividades de temporada o campaña que les permita la entrada y salida del territorio nacional de acuerdo con las características de las citadas campañas y la información que le suministren las Comunidades Autónomas donde se promuevan].

Continúa el precepto diciendo que para que se de la posibilidad de conceder las referidas autorizaciones de trabajo deberá garantizarse que los trabajadores temporeros van a ser alojados en condiciones de dignidad e higiene adecuadas. Además, el artículo también señala que las Administraciones públicas tendrán la obligación de promover la asistencia de los servicios sociales adecuados.

Con respecto a las ofertas de empleo de temporada, hay que decir que éstas se orientarán principalmente hacia los países con los que España haya firmado acuerdos sobre regulación de flujos migratorios.

Por último, ni que decir tiene que las comunidades autónomas y los ayuntamientos deberán colaborar en la programación de las campañas de temporada con la Administración General del Estado.



What are the conditions for reunifying minors with their family members in Spain?

First we have to start off by establishing the children under the age of 18 years old are considered minors.

Article 185. of Royal Decree 557/2011 states that children born to foreigners in Spain will automatically acquire the same residence permit as either one of the parents.

  • Foreign minors who were either born inside or outside of Spain may reunite with their family members if their family members are legal residents of Spain.  

Article 186 of Royal Decree covers the following situation:

  • If the minor is born outside of Spain to parents who are legal residents of Spain, then he may obtain a residence permit if and when documentation is provided proving that he has been in the country for at least two years.  Parents must provide proof of sufficient economic means and resources to cover their child´s living expenses and fulfil the requirement of accommodation.

Article 187 of Royal Decree addresses the temporary displacement of foreign minors.

  • Foreign unaccompanied minors who are are coming temporarily (for a period of less than 90 days) for medical treatment, vacation or to carry out studies may also apply for family reunification if their family members are legally residing in Spain. 

Article 189 of the Royal Decree clarifies what is meant by unaccompanied minors.

  • This refers to those foreign minors under the age of 18 who have come to Spain legally or illegally without any responsible adult accompanying them.  They are vulnerable and are at risk of being left unprotected.  

For more information please do not hesitate to contact us where you can also request an appointment with one of our immigration lawyers!

Katherine Pascal



Según empieza diciendo en artículo 45 de la Ley Orgánica 4/2000, de 11 de enero, sobre derechos y libertades de los extranjeros en España y su integración social, [las tasas se devengarán cuando se solicite la autorización, la prórroga, la modificación, la renovación, o el visado]. Además, en el caso de las Comunidades Autónomas que tengan traspasadas las competencias en materia de autorización de trabajo, les corresponderá el devengo del rendimiento de las tasas.

Por su parte, en los casos de autorización de residencia y trabajo por cuenta ajena a favor de aquellos trabajadores que presten servicio doméstico de carácter parcial o discontinuo, el devengo de la tasa se producirá en el momento de afiliación y/o alta de éstos en la Seguridad Social.

Continúa el citado precepto diciendo que en los casos de renovación de la autorización de residencia y trabajo por cuenta ajena, en ausencia de empleador, y cuando se trate de trabajadores que presten servicio doméstico de carácter parcial o discontinuo, el devengo de la tasa se producirá en el momento de alta del trabajador en la Seguridad Social.

Por último, es importante señalar que el importe de las tasas se establecerá por orden ministerial de los departamentos competentes. No obstante, en aquellos supuestos en que las Comunidades Autónomas tengan traspasadas las competencias en materia de autorización inicial de trabajo, éstas se regirán por la legislación que corresponda a tal efecto.

Madrid, Móstoles, Alcalá de Henares, Fuenlabrada, Leganés, Getafe, Alcorcón, Parla, Torrejón de Ardoz, Alcobendas, Coslada, Las Rozas de Madrid, Pozuelo de Alarcón, San Sebastián de los Reyes, Rivas-Vaciamadrid, Majadahonda, Collado Villalba, Valdemoro, Aranjuez, Arganda del Rey, Boadilla del Monte, Colmenar Viejo, Pinto, Zaragoza, San Fernando de Henares, Abogado extranjería marbella,Tres Cantos, Galapagar, Villaviciosa de Odón, Ciempozuelos, Mejorada del Campo, Torrelodones, Algete, Navalcarnero, Arroyomolinos, Humanes de Madrid, San Martín de la Vega, Málaga, San Lorenzo de El Escorial, Villanueva de la Cañada, El Escorial, Villanueva del Pardillo, Guadarrama, Alpedrete, Meco ,Moralzarzal, Paracuellos de Jarama, Barcelona,Velilla de San Antonio, Valdemorillo , San Agustín del Guadalix, Brunete, Daganzo de Arriba, Griñón,Colmenarejo, Villalbilla , El Álamo, Colmenar de Oreja, Soto del Real, San Martín de Valdeiglesias, Sevilla la Nueva, Torres de la Alameda etc. Cuidado de personas mayores y enfermos en Madrid

Este sitio emplea cookies como ayuda para prestar servicios. Al utilizar este sitio, estás aceptando el uso de cookies. OK Más información